Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'M BACK!

I know it's been a while since I've shown up, but I'm committed to being here for you at least twice a week from now on. Seriously. If not more. Because here's the deal: we're getting more and more email saying people need healing for the tough journeys. One reader said to us, "I've accumulated nearly ten years of psychotherapy in my life (Christian and non) and none of it was that good. It was all either confrontational and harsh, or irrelevant and useless. I wonder if there really is therapy out there like that, or if it only exists in Utopian fiction." We're not about offering you therapy here, but I'd like to put some topics and questions out there for you to think about, and offer my own thoughts which I guarantee won't be confrontational and harsh, or, hopefully, irrelevant and useless. I'll start -- then you feel free to jump in with questions and concerns -- and "Crisp, you are a nut bar," if that's what comes to you. Any time you want a more private conversation, just request that by posting a comment.

So let's get started. Healing Waters, my next book, is centered around this premise. "Whatever you bury emotionally, you bury alive, and you have to feed it." Any comments?

4 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Right now I'm feeding it muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, and a mouth guard because all the stress of my mom's death has gone to my jaw! I'm not intentionally trying to bury the emotions; there has just been an overwhelming amount of stuff to do, especially thanks to a little storm called Ike.

Sullivan, I look forward to more of your wise counsel!

Jackie Colburn said...

I'm with Linda and so look forward to Sully's guidance. I took to heart his counsel to look at our own behavior and get to the root of why we do what we do. Not only does the book show it in the characters' lives, the readers also know what that can look like in theirs.

Thanks Sully!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have a comment. "Whatever you bury emotionally ...." scares the crap out of me ;)

Unknown said...

Accidental Poet - It scared the crap out of me too - except I didn't know I was burying ANYTHING emotionally - just knew life scared and exhausted me. I finally found someone who taught me to acknowledge what I was actually feeling (instead of what I thought I SHOULD be feeling), and then embrace that that was part of who I am, and then forgive myself for whatever those feelings showed me about myself. Then I appreciated the person or circumstance who had brought up the feelings in the first place (for how would I have known there was something there that needed to be healed, if the feeling hadn't been there?). I thought about who I wanted to be - what would be valuable for me, for God, for the world. And then released it to God to create it my life. And amazingly, miraculously by following the above steps - God did change and heal me. This after almost 40 years of pain, fear, and depression. Have really enjoyed reading Healing Stones, and Healing Waters. I certainly can relate to what the women went through in these books.